Pages

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Hole in the Snowbank

     The branches are whipping at my face as I run full speed, dodging trees in a split second, which is all it takes for me to hit one. At this speed, it would kill a normal human, but that's just not who I am. As I run, the snowy trees are a blur, but I'm still not fast enough to out run them. I knew they were coming for me, it was only a matter of when. But why now? They've overlooked me up till now, finding immediate threats. Why now?
     I hear a branch crack and snap, which pulls me out of my thoughts to the situation at hand. My eyes dart around, looking for the tallest tree here. When I spot a good one, I put on a tiny burst of speed and jump with all I have, grabbing a branch at least halfway up the tree. I stay hidden for several heartbeats, judging if they tracked me up into the tree. When I was sure I was relatively safe, I tensed my muscles, coiling them like I spring and taking off like a bird.
     But without a window or tunnel open, there's little or no magic to tap into, and I can't exactly fly. I land with a muted thud in the soft powder, staying a crouch, not moving a muscle, preparing for a fight to the death. But when I'm not shot to a bloody pulp in the snow, I take off running, as stealthily as I can, trying not to attract attention.
     It was all I could do not to scream when I fell the black, hole in the ground to the depths of the earth.

Iska

No comments:

Post a Comment